Wednesday, January 21, 2009

What is a self portrait?

Portrait: A likeness of a person, especially one showing the face, that is created by a painter or photographer
=======================================
Self Portraits of a few artists
=======================================
JUDITH LEYSTER
Self-Portrait, Judith Leyster, c. 1630
The painting on the easel was originally a self-portrait of Leyster. But she changed her mind and painted the violin player over it because her most successful and profitable paintings were scenes of merrymakers, a type of picture very popular with customers.
She must have decided that this painting could advertise several messages at once: I am a successful, sought-after painter; I can paint great portraits; and I’m skilled at painting lively scenes of people
================================
VINCENT VAN GOGH


self portrait by Vincent Van Gogh
oil on cardboard
40.5 x 32.5 cm
Paris, Summer,1887

"What impressions me most-- much, much more than all the rest of my metier -- is the portrait, the modern portrait. i seek it in colour, and surely I am not the only one to seek it in this direction. I should like -- mind you, far be it from me to say that I shall be able to do it, although this is what I aiming at -- I should like to paint portraits which would appear after a century to people living then as apparitions."

- Vincent Van Gogh, letter W22, 5 June 1890

==================================================

ANDY WARHOL

Self portrait, Andy Warhol, 1986

Andy Warhol created this self-portrait in 1986, the year before his death. He used four photographic images of himself (with his trademark “shocked” hair) and silk-screened them, off-kilter, onto a 6-foot square canvas. The result is four big heads, set in supercharged pink and yellow against a glossy, dense black background. The effect is intense and unsettling.

QUESTION: why did Andy Warhol include four images of himself rather than one?

Adapted from : http://www.nga.gov/education/classroom/self_portraits/act_warhol.shtm

==========================================
ASSIGNMENT
What is your definition of a self portrait?
How would you define yourself in a portrait?
Task One: Create a mindmap of who you are as a person/student.
Task Two: Using Alias sketch pad, draw a simple self portrait of yourself.
Task Three: Post it back on this blog!
Task Four (which is not really a task) : Have Fun!
..... but remember this will be a graded assignment.
---- Ms Tan

No comments:

Post a Comment